Monday, January 18, 2010

Deluge

Today is a school holiday (I'm sure you've heard), so I'm sitting at home, listening to the rain. I've been watching the back patio to make sure that it doesn't flood (this has been an issue in the past). It's been raining rather hard, and the power got knocked out for less than a minute about an hour ago.

It's supposed to rain all week, and I'm kind of dreading it. One of the high schools was not built with rain in mind. This week will be a nightmare.

There are no overhangs. The roof extends above most classroom doors just enough to drip right on my head as I'm unlocking the door. If I leave the door open, the rain can blow in.

A couple years back the district gave the school money to build rain shelters in the lunch area (the cafeteria can not hold the entire student body--not even a quarter of the student body). But that isn't enough. Most students end up getting very wet, or they find a nice teacher who will leave his/her classroom open for lunch.

The rain is really coming down now. There was one day where it was about this bad. The school flooded.

Each building contains around a dozen classrooms. There are six main buildings in the middle of the school. Between each building is a small grassy area.

This one day, the entire grassy area was under water. The water extended over the sidewalks, and up to the classroom doors. I was not in a room where the water got that high, but the classrooms on the opposite side from me might have had water in the rooms, that's how bad it was.

I wish I had an image of this. It was spectacular and frightening.

So, I wonder about this week. It seems like it'll be a wet one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.