Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Shaker

"Is it just me, or are we having an earthquake?"

Mom looked at me like I was crazy. She was standing. She stopped walking across the room. She waited.

I was reclining on the couch. The earth was still moving. And now I was sure that it was an earthquake, but I was the only one in the room who felt it.

If it had been a small quake, the shaking would have stopped by then. But I could still feel the swaying, rolling motion. Then the rest of the family felt it.

There's nothing quite like an earthquake to give a family gathering on Easter that extra special something. The Food Network show we had been watching was making me sleepy (hence the reclining position on the couch).

So, I was not surprised at the magnitude nor the distance of the epicenter. But I think this was the first time that I felt the earthquake first. I'm usually the last to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.