Monday, April 26, 2010

Missing the Headline

Just when I thought I was going to get to go home early today...

The secretary asked me to wait through lunch just in case someone needed a sub for the last period of the day.  About two minutes before the end of lunch the secretary came to get me.  A special ed teacher needed someone to cover her class as her meeting was running long.

There were no lesson plans, but there was a writing prompt on the board: "What would you do if you had a magic wand?"  Okay, easy enough.

The class came in.  The bell rang.  I explained that their teacher was in a meeting that went long.  She was going to be back before the end of the period, but until then, we would work on the writing assignment on the board.  We talked about the topic.  They seemed to get it.  I asked them to get out paper, and the room went silent.

Well, it was silent for a bit.  Then one of the students complained that another student was sitting somewhere he was not supposed to be sitting.  The boy said that he was well within his rights to be sitting there.  An impasse.

I reminded the boy that his teacher would be back before the end of the period.  Would she mind him sitting there?  He said not.

That's when another boy asked, "Ms. G. is coming back?'

I again explained.  In meeting.  Meeting went long.  Teacher coming back during class.

And they still managed to be surprised when Ms. G. arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.