Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Resistance

It's day two of the seven-day assignment.  The teacher left me three videos for the time that he's out.  Today we continued watching The Mission.  

It's kind of an interesting movie.  I'd never heard of it.  Neither had they.  And they weren't much interested in expanding their knowledge.  

They whined that it was boring.  One class said that they were going to email the teacher to change the movie choice.  Fine.  But they were going to be quiet today.  

Fifth period, I kept having to shush a group of four boys.  They were constantly turning and saying things (inaudible to me) and laughing.  It's not a funny movie.  It took me a while before I figured out what it was they were doing.  

At the end of the period I called them on it.  "You need to stop with the Mystery Science Theater 3000," I told them.  They didn't get the reference.  

First I told them to look it up.  They are AP kids, but they're also 10th graders, and it's the end of the year.  They'd never look it up.  So, I explained.  They had never heard of MST3K.  

I thought it rather sad that they had never heard of the show.  I also felt a little old (not for the first time) for using the reference.  Sigh.  

(And just for kicks, Amazon has a bunch of these for sale here.)  

1 comment:

  1. I agree! So sad that today's high school kids are unaware of MST3K. It just goes to show you...kids are much dumber and lazier than when we were kids...or does that prove that I'm old too?!?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.