Monday, February 14, 2011

Design Modifications

A little over a month ago, I posted a picture of the cozy I made for my nook.

nook cozy

I loved the thing. I loved the way it looked. I loved the way it felt. The cable pattern is a favorite of mine, and I was happy I had a chance to use it in something. Unfortunately, there was a flaw in the cozy. It slid down the top, leaving some of the nook exposed.

another shot of nook cozy

The whole point of the cozy was to protect the nook from dings and scratches while it was in my school bag. I decided that I needed to find a way to keep the cozy from slipping.

I didn't want to have to remake the thing. However, button holes are easy. All I was going to have to do was to rip out the edging (crocheted on after I finished the knitting, so it was a minor inconvenience). And then I'd have to figure out buttons.

But buttons were a problem. Where would I attach them? If I put them on the inside, then the nook could get scratched. If I attached them to the outside, then I'd interrupt the beautiful cable pattern.

That's when I hit upon the idea of making a strap, and then it all fell together.

P2080001

Since I have an I-cord maker (because making I-cords by hand is tedious and annoying), the whole process took me about an hour. Well, it took a little longer as I was experimenting and figuring out how I wanted things to go, but once I had the procedure down, this pink cozy took me less than an hour to fix.


P2080008

P2080010


I like how it turned out. The cozy no longer slips. The nook is secure in my bag. I'm kind of happy at how it all turned out.

Sometimes ripping out something to fix it makes it a whole lot better.

1 comment:

  1. very cute! And perfect analogy for writing: sometimes ripping out something to fix it makes it a whole lot better!!

    Fellow crusader and new follower - nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.