Friday, February 25, 2011

Over My Head

I got called to cover chemistry this morning. I figured that I knew enough to handle whatever assignment they had. But then I got to school, and I got a look at the assigned worksheet.

The first question was to find the definition of solvation. Now, I've heard of solvents and solutes, but solvation? They had 60 questions about water and solutions, and most of the questions looked foreign to me. And, it was multiple choice.

The first two classes were honors. I followed along as they worked through the questions, looking things up in the textbook as I could. I found a few of the answers. I knew that I wasn't going to be much help to them.

"What's the formula for salt?"

I knew that one. I replied: "NaCl".

I didn't hear the question, but a girl at another table said to her table mate, "She went to college." I assume that the first girl wondered how I knew that. I didn't see what the big deal was.  The girl at the table that wanted the formula explained, "Ms. D. went over this yesterday, and I still don't remember it."

I guess I know more than I thought. At least I didn't make a fool of myself trying to do their worksheet.

7 comments:

  1. It seems like you handled yourself really well. Stay positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got called in yesterday for Kindergarten. I had to explain that if they didn't take their nap they got frowny faces. lol Great job! I wouldn't have known that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L.A.-Kindergarteners...shudder...You are much braver than me. A room full of five-year-olds? I'd run screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! If that's all I need to know to outwit a high school chemistry class I think I can manage it! I even know the formulas for hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid and, um, water. Do I get the job?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adina--Water wouldn't impress them, but hydrochloric acid and sulphuric acid would. At least for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! And I agree with Regina... you handled yourself very well.. don't sell yourself short :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. Definite LOL moment! My chemistry knowledge stops at the formula for water, unfortunately. You're very brave for taking advanced classes in upper-grades!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.