Saturday, October 22, 2011

Shark Sighting


It's time for the Third Campaigner Challenge. Better (nearly) late than never...

I gently lay my arm along the railing, careful not to get a splinter from the rough wood. I lay my other arm next to it, and then I leaned in. As the waves crashed towards the shore, I felt like I could be moving in the opposite direction. I steadied myself against the railing, reminding myself that I was still and the ocean was moving.  

The salty air kissed my lips as the wind roared in my ears. I should have remembered to bring a sweater. I forgot how cool it could be. The forecast predicted temperatures into the mid-80s, but that would be later. Right now it was downright chilly.  

The ocean was filled with surfers. I heard the surf report on the radio, but the numbers meant nothing to me. The announcer sounded happy, though, so it must have meant the surfing was good.  

The wind changed direction momentarily, and I almost gagged. I turned to find an old man holding a fishing pole. Apparently, he was having some luck. I turned back to watch the surfers.  

They were all swimming for the shore. I could discern shouting, but I couldn’t make out the words. Then I saw a few of them pointing. I peered out that direction, and then I saw it. A small triangular gray fin.  

No! Not here. That’s impossible.  

A crowd of people swarmed towards my spot. It wouldn’t be long before news crews arrived. I took that as my cue, and I headed back down the pier.  

If you liked it, please vote for me. I'm #106.

13 comments:

  1. I love how laid back the post is until about the fifth paragraph. It really paints a picture of the world around the MC!! Great job! And nice surprise at the end :)

    I'm entry #5

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I've awarded you some questions to answer over at my blog at http://writeskatedream-jmckendry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story, I love that this challenge hasn't been so gory. Mine is #56

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very descriptive & seemed effortless. Enjoyed it! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smooth. I think you did a great job showing instead of telling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd slip away if news crews were going to show up, too. I like the description in your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. shark's get such a bad press (media bias!). Nice job.

    mood
    (now following)
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    no. 79

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've used some great descriptive language here. I really enjoyed this entry!
    Mine is #25.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I really like this Liz. The atmosphere is done so well I feel like I'm actually there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just when you thought it was safe to look at the water! Nice one! You really nailed the environment. It brought back some fond beach memories (minus the sharks). Excellent work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job with creating the atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Guess what?! You're moving on to the next round in the judging process. :) Congrats!

    :) Margo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just getting around to reading all these entries...I like your vibe. It put me there, good job!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.