Monday, August 20, 2012

Blast from the Past

The other day as I was flipping through the summer issue of Interweave Crochet I came across their "Fast & Fabulous" project. It stopped me cold. My mouth dropped open. I almost fell out of my seat.

I remember those rings. I had a stash of them as a child. A quick search of my stuff, and I found them...


No, I did not make these. They had been created by a relative, probably Gram-Mavis, my great-grandmother, the one who taught me to knit.  

I didn't much like these rings. I'm not really a ring person, and they were large and rather busy.  


But there was the pattern. It wasn't beyond my capabilities. It might be fun to try. So, I went out in search of materials.  

The beads were pretty easy to find. I already possessed the needed hook (I inherited all of Gram-Mavis' tools when she passed away, so I rarely have to buy hooks or needles). But the "stretch elastic jewelry thread" was not in store. The craft store had elastic beading cord, so I got that.  

Turns out beading cord won't work. It's too large. The recommended hook is way too small, and the cord doesn't knot, so the first bead easily slips off. So, I went online in search of this elusive beading thread.  

According to the designer, this should be easy to find at any craft store. Yet, all the craft stores I checked did not have this. Perhaps I'm just in the wrong part of the country? A general Google search turned up nothing as well.  

I was disappointed. I thought this would be the perfect project to post about here with pictures of the finished product. Instead, all I have is a great idea but no way to get it done. Big sigh.  

So, I ask you: have you seen stretch elastic jewelry thread? Where should I look to obtain such an item? If you know where to find it, I'll make you a ring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.