Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Taking Out the Trash

Last week, Briane asked if I had seen the skunk since that New Year's early morning Day. Yes, a couple times, but not lately. This sighting was the next one, from August 19, 2008. As school is now back in session, I should have some new school stories this time next week. 

I was minding my own business. It was a simple trip. I went out through the garage, hit the dumpster to throw out the trash, and then I continued on. It is easier to continue through the garage and complete the circuit to the mailboxes. I've done this many times.

I ran into a neighbor who was just getting home. We greeted each other as I passed through the gate to the courtyard. I passed by the spa on the right as I usually do. Nothing at all was out of the ordinary.

I followed the sidewalk to where it turned to the left, and that's when I saw it. The skunk. It was standing on the elevated bricks which framed the well-kept up garden. It was facing me. The white stripe along its back and up its tail were very distinctive. It was sort of scrunched up, and its tail was in the air.

I admit it. I ran. It was mere feet to the gate to the outside where the mailboxes are. I got there quickly, and then in my panic I tried to open the gate in when it actually opened out. I figured out what I had done, and then got through the gate quickly.

Luckily, I was making a circuit, so I didn't have to return the way I had come. After I retrieved my mail I stayed on the other side of the fence, although the skunk could have easily gone through and come after me. Not likely, I know, but I walked quickly anyway.

Yes, I know I am a wuss. I want to stay stink-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.