Friday, March 29, 2013

In the Navy?

Yesterday I mentioned that last week the continuation high school had its annual Career Fair. I also mentioned that the presentation in the classroom I covered was for a local private college (not one you've ever heard of, I'm sure).

These days are nice for me the sub. I get to sit back and let someone else do all the work. It helps if the students are cooperative (so I don't have to go all discipline-y).

The first three groups were fine. Then the fourth group came in, and I inwardly groaned. Not her!

Some students just can't be quiet and attentive. And this girl... I don't think she has ADD, but she just can't sit still. She's been rude to me on more than one occasion. She talks back. And she's loud.

But we lucked out. She was quiet and attentive to the presenter. The presenter actually wanted some feedback from the audience, and she was good enough to provide it. Things were going pretty well, actually.

As the presenter was talking about his school, he asked the girl her post-graduation plans. She told him she was going to enlist in the Navy.

This is where I fall over in shock.

Even now... I can't picture this girl in the Navy. Basic training will be...interesting. I don't know if she actually understands the sort of respect and dedication involved.

I'm judging. I shouldn't. She might find the Navy is a perfect fit for her.

But...I just don't see it.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought my brother would be good in the navy, but he's there now and doing quite well. If she's really not navy material, I hope she figures it out before she joins. Otherwise, she's in for a pretty rude awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I remember sitting next to people in my Criminal justice classes thinking to myself, this girl wants to be a COP?! She is down right crazy.... we are all doomed!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.