Monday, March 4, 2013

Wardrobe Malfunction

1st period 8th grade science. I waged the usual battles. They were seated and mostly on task. So, a successful period.

I needed to retrieve something from my bag, so I sat down in the teacher's chair to get to it. As I slid along the armrest into the seat, I felt something sharp along my right hip.  

The armrest of the chair slid aside, revealing a metal plate which presumably secured the armrest to the chair. The corner of that rectangular metal piece tore a big gaping hole in my pants.

Can you tell that this is along my hip?
Now what was I supposed to do? Why couldn't this have happened 6th period?

A student called me over, needing help. I pulled my shirt down. My jacket was slightly longer, but it felt like the hem just grazed over the hole. I walked over pretending nothing was wrong, and I hoped for the best.

They didn't appear to notice. (They're 8th graders. I'm sure they would have made a big to do over it if they did.)

Somehow, I managed to get through the rest of the period. I searched the room for safety pins, but I didn't find any. Luckily, a neighbor stopped in looking for the teacher, and I asked him if he had any. He did. And doubly luckily, the next period I had a prep, so I headed for the restroom and tried to make sure that the hole was a bit more secure (so that my underwear wasn't showing).

Not great, but better than leaving a bit, gaping hole
I got through the rest of the day feeling highly self-conscious. But no one seemed to notice anything amiss. Phew.

And from now on, I'm going to be a lot more careful when I take a seat. Especially early in the day.

4 comments:

  1. Oops. Some would consider every piece of clothing I own to be some sort of wardrobe malfunction. I'm glad you got through your day without to much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to start a new fashion trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. 8th graders would have made a BIG deal had they noticed. The other thing about 8th graders is that they are so busy worrying about which of their peers is watching THEM that they don't often notice the attire on adults....unless there is underwear involved....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do things like that always happen early in the day? I would have been sure everyone saw it and was staring. Glad you got through the day with no further ripping.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.