Friday, October 11, 2013

Student Commerce

A student walked into 6th period carrying a guitar case. He asked me where he could set the thing during class.

(The students don't have lockers, so many carry around their gym bags or musical instruments as well as their backpacks. A student carrying a guitar is so normal that it normally wouldn't even merit a remark.)

I pointed to a spot at the front of the room. Then I wondered...

"What do you normally do with it?"

Student: "I've never had it before..."

I was getting ready to ask him what he'd been doing in a guitar class without a guitar all this time, but he continued before I could voice the thought.

"...It's not mine. I'm holding it for someone."

Me: "Why?"

Student: "He paid me a dollar."

Me: "That's the going rate?"

Student: "I was hungry, so I used it to buy some chips. I was considering selling [the guitar that isn't his], but then..."

(The rest of the conversation veered off course, and I was no longer sure if he was referencing the guitar, his friend, the chips, or... Well, he's a freshman, so who knows what he was talking about.)

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I can't count how many times what should've been a normal conversation has veered. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only strange when the conversation doesn't veer.

      Happy weekend to you, too.

      Delete
  2. "He's a freshman, so who knows what he was talking about." Oh man, that was hilarious.

    I can't believe he settled for a dollar. He should have tried for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe he settled for a dollar either. But I supposed when one wants chips, a dollar will do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A dollar seems pretty cheap, but it's a shame they don't have somewhere to put there stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $1 is their bribe for everything. They frequently offer me $1 to do their work for them. And if I were to sell anything, they'd only be willing to pay $1.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.