Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Festive Wine Bottle Cozy

My mother is giving a bottle of wine for some gift exchange thingie, and seeing it, I volunteered to make a cozy to wrap the bottle in. Because I'm not behind with my Christmas knitting or anything...


There are eyelets in the stitch pattern, so she's going to get a ribbon to tie the top with. I think it turned out rather nice.

Since it was a rather easy thing, I thought I'd include the pattern (mostly so I can find it again if I ever have need of it).

I used a yarn called Caron Jewel Box. I've had it in my stash for a while, and I'm sure it's been discontinued by now. It's a bulky yarn with lots of texture, which is the reason it was picked for this application.

I didn't plan this pattern out all that carefully. I used the crochet hook and knitting needles that were closest at hand. I didn't swatch. I crocheted the bottom, held it up to the wine bottle, and once it was big enough to cover the bottom, I switched to knitting needles and knit up the sides.

So, if you plan to try this, I suggest that you do the same thing. Make the bottom until it's the right size for your wine (or whatever) bottle, erring on the side of just a little bit too big. Then pick up and knit around.

The knit pattern works over a multiple of three stitches, which is why I started off by working nine double crochets into the ring. That way, I was sure to end up with a multiple of three stitches when it was time to knit. If you need a round 3 for the bottom, you only need to increase by 9 (that is, *dc, 2 dc in next dc, repeat from *).

So, I used:
Yarn: Caron Jewel Box
Crochet hook size N
Double pointed needles size 10 1/2
Marker to mark beginning of round

Abbreviations:
Ch=chain
dc=double crochet
sl st=slip stitch
yo=yarn over
k3tog=knit 3 together

Pattern:


With N crochet hook, chain 3. Join to first chain with a slip stitch, forming a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3, 8 dc in ring. Join with sl st to top of chain 3 (9 sts)
Round 2: Ch 3, 2 dc into each dc from prev rnd. Join with sl st to top of ch 3 (18 sts)
Take the loop off the hook and transfer to knitting needles
Round 3: Through the back loop of each of the dc, pick up and knit 1 (18 sts). Place marker and continue working in the round.
Begin Puff Rib stitch pattern:
Round 4: *P2, yo, k1, yo, repeat from * for the round
Rounds 5 & 6: *P2, k3, repeat from * for the round
Round 7: *P2, k3tog, repeat from * for the round

Repeat rounds 4-7 until cozy is desired height. Bind off on a row 6.

I used a stretchy bind off. Depending on how tight the cozy is to the bottle, this may or may not be necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of that. The yarn looks especially cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yarn, too. And a wine cozy, what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.