Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Most Hated?

Why do students think I hate them?

Fourth period was convinced. I'm not sure why.

The first two groups were freaky. (One of the first four periods was a prep.) They worked silently. With a confusing assignment (I had to explain it a couple times because it was kind of strange). On an assembly schedule day. Oh, and did I mention these were middle schoolers?

Yep, those first two groups were amazingly good. Fourth period? Not so much.

On any other day, fourth period would have been behaving acceptably. Were they silent? No. But they were on task, they remained in their seats, and they weren't rude to me.

Did I hate them? No. Could they have behaved better?

See, here's the thing. I was spoiled by the earlier two classes. The only thing that was wrong with fourth period was how they compared to their peers from earlier in the day.

I didn't even write them a bad note.

Yet, they were still convinced that I hated them.

Ah well. I guess some students thrive on being hated. Or, at least the perception that they were.

3 comments:

  1. Victim mentality? Although that's usually a more individual thing, not an entire class.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their logic is probably something like, "She didn't let us get away with everything, so SHE DESPISES US."

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.