Friday, April 25, 2014

Vague Competition

"Did you sub for Ms. F?"

Not in the last couple months. I wracked my brain. I couldn't remember if I had subbed for her this school year. Of course, when a student asks me that, he's really just trying to place me. Where has he seen me before? That's when we start going through who his teachers are.

"I'm around all the time," I said. "I'm sure I covered one of your classes."

Another student piped up: "She doesn't remember you."

What was I supposed to remember?

"Remember that time that you passed out that assignment and told us how to complete it and then told us it was due at the end of the period?"

Um...

"Remember that time that you had us all pass up our work, and you told me to make sure my name was on my paper?"

Well...

"Remember that one time when you called roll and mispronounced that one girl's name?"

Oh, I get it.

"You're having a vague competition."

They confirmed. Clever.

And perfect timing. I was wondering what I was going to post for V...

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter...


Would you believe me if I told you that this took place in a special ed classroom? How are you doing with these later letters of the alphabet?

15 comments:

  1. Oh my. So clever. So creative.

    I'm almost all commented out. How about you? I love seeing all my friends and reading about what they have up, but my goodness. I just can't see them all in a single day.

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny how things just fall into place and we have something to write about. great post, Kids are to funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lucked out with the A to Z a lot like this.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like some of the conversations I have with my husband. "Did I tell you about that time I caused trouble when I was a kid?" Ummmm...could you be more specific?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. I guess we all do it to some extent sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Teasing the sub, a classic game :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. They keep you hopping, don't they?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate subbing....but glad you find some amusement with it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those kids had you going for a few minutes, huh? That was funny. X Y & Z, I’d say yeah, those are the toughies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute. Those kids. Gotta love em, eh? As a substitute teacher, I'm sure you have lots of stories to tell. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a hard time trying to come up with the words beginning with X and Z, though I now know what I should write about next week.

    As a novice, I have been curious to know what other A to Z participants are going to write about next week.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, X is always fascinating to see. Personally, I cheated.

      Delete
  10. I find very difficult to remember, if someone walks up with these conversations.. I am thinking for x.. i do have some thoughts, must think a little more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People can be vague sometimes, but this was deliberate. And entertaining. Good luck with X...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.