Friday, November 7, 2014

Not So Obvious, I Guess


"What are we doing today?"

I didn't growl at the student even though I wanted to.

We had just gotten into the room. Most of the students were finding their seats. I made a beeline for the teacher's desk in search of lesson plans.

It was 4th period. The students and I waited together outside for someone to unlock the door for us. Obviously, I was just getting there. Obviously, I hadn't had a chance to set up the room let alone preview what the teacher intended for us to do. Obviously, it was going to take me a couple minutes to get up to speed.

Well, perhaps not obvious to a freshman.

Although, come on! It's not like they haven't had Fridays like this before. So many teachers were absent that two teachers didn't get their very own subs. They had to share.

I call it sub soup. These teachers' classes were covered period by period by different subs (and teachers) on their prep periods.

It's not a big deal. I go in, find the plans, peruse them as the class settles, and by a minute or two after the bell I'm good to go.

Well I would have been if I wasn't interrupted in my perusal by freshmen needing to know right then what we were doing.

I suppose I should have been grateful he didn't ask me what we were doing while we were waiting outside. (Although, that has happened to me before...)

10 comments:

  1. You could tell the freshman "right now we are doing nothing until I figure out the something the teacher wants us to be doing."

    I love the term sub soup!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. A student in a hurry to do something? Would make me suspicious -- what is he? Definitely up no good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably looking to see how he could get out of it ;)

      Delete
  3. They probably just don't understand the inner workings of the school and figure, you're the sub, you know everything before they do. Teenagers aren't exactly the most perceptive bunch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all were tuning their voices....Memememeeeeeeeee:) They have no clue and don't want to. One of those students will, one day, be a teacher and then they will understand

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're the "right now" generation!!! Although we probably are, too. I thought of you when I was trying to figure out what "related arts" was earlier today for a book I was writing. I think it's a general category that covers music, arts, etc., and students get to pick which of those they want to do in that period? Or do they do all of the above at some point during the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are.

      I've never heard of "related arts". Perhaps it's a regional thing?

      Delete
  6. Mine ask me that all the time. I just say, "Wait and see." or if I'm grumpy, "Wouldn't you like to know!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my answer was kind of along those lines.

      Delete
  7. Next time you should make something up and then when you read the teachers plans, say, oops, guess I was wrong. Then again...maybe your way is better.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.