Wednesday, January 21, 2015

And Then a Miracle Occurred


It was a bad, bad day. Algebra readiness. These classes were filled with freshmen who were not ready for algebra. And many were not fans of math anyway.

2nd period came in like a herd of wild elephants. They were loud. Wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise (and I was supposed to go over notes with them). And they thought it was fun to play around. Throwing paper at each other. Screeching.

I keep a tally of the number of times I have to stop and get their focus back. (I leave that number for the teacher.) It was north of 20.

So, typical freshmen. And I knew my day was going to be very, very long.

3rd period was pretty much the same.

I wasn't expecting much from 4th period. I started off the period by explaining that I had a bunch of stuff to go over with them (the notes were on scientific notation), and if they would help me out by paying attention while I did that, they could talk afterwards.

I got into the meat of the lesson...and the class settled. One student even commented on how quiet the class was.

I held my breath. I crossed my fingers. And somehow they remained settled for the entirety of the lesson.

A miracle.

Too bad 5th and 6th periods went crazy. At least I had a period of not-so-bad.

5 comments:

  1. One bright spot of sunshine to get you through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a hurricane day! Crappy except for the middle which held some peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was probably a nice respite for the rest of the day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some days things go so badly don't they? I always blame the weather. Wind and rain stirs the kids up... and full moons :) As Birgit says at least there was an eye in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have blamed it on the weather. Too nice out?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.