Friday, March 27, 2015

Auditioning for the Ministry of Silly Walks


I like to throw out the occasional obscure reference. Well, the references are obscure to middle schoolers.

A girl complained that she was afraid that the ceiling was going to fall on her. She pointed up...


I looked at that cracked tile, and I thought something completely different. I told her I'd be worried about other things... (I did mention Doctor Who. She was perplexed. Luckily, the girl behind her knew what I was talking about, and I freaked her out in an entirely different way.)

But this week a weird thing started happening. Or maybe I started noticing it.

Boys, for reasons unknown, have broken into dance at random times. Usually while walking across a room. Or in the door. Or out the door.

There's no music playing. Well, maybe only in their heads.

So, I've been commenting: "Auditioning for the Ministry of Silly Walks?"

I'm greeted with blank stares. Brilliant.

They never ask. Oh, I want them to ask...



Well, one did ask. When I told him to look it up, he wanted to do it right then, on his phone. Sigh.

I have to keep myself entertained somehow...

13 comments:

  1. Yay, I got that reference! Although I probably wouldn't have in high school. Kids these days aren't properly exposed to the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with Monty Python. My whole family loved it and all the movies. I tried showing my kids The Holy Grail and only one of them 'got' it. The rest thought it was stupid. Kids these days eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't "get it" until college. Perhaps you should try again?

      Delete
  3. I remember when I was 17 or 18, working at the movie theater, a co-worker explained Monty Python at length. Different plots from different movies, etc. I just realized, reading this, that if that were today, he would have pulled out his phone and shown me the different scenes there rather than explaining them. I'm not sure which I would have preferred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sketches are better when viewed. If they weren't middle schoolers and it wasn't the middle of class, that would have been an excellent option.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love the silly walks and I hope the boy will appreciated the mastery of the silly walk. I actually remember trying this myself, many, many years ago. Needless to say people thought I was a bit strange:) I was happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it interesting the boys would break out in dance. I would think they would be a little self conscious to do such a thing.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think, but not so much. I think they're showing off, actually.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful, the silly walks and that teen boys are spontaneously dancing! My best friend who I met way back in college was (and still is) a huge Monty Python fan. She dragged a bunch of us to a Monty Python fest. A very quiet and serious boy in our group had the most amazing silly walks... All of her children (ages 10, 12, 17 and 20) started quoting Monty Python at a young age. This could be one reason that they've all had a bit of trouble fitting in with most of the other kids.( I believe the world would be a better place if there were much more spontaneous brief dancing.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH God, The Ministry of Silly Walks is the best. Damn I love Monty Python.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love/loved Monty Python--they were brilliant. The Monty Python and the Holy Grail was watched at least once a week.
    Dr. Who with Matt Smith and crack in the wall--you can tell where my mind does its own silly walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's fun to freak out the middle schoolers. Now I just have to figure out how to get counting marks on their bodies without them noticing...

      Delete
  9. Ahhh, Monty Python. I'm glad someone is bring culture to today's youth.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.