Thursday, May 14, 2015

Cesar


No, this is not his real name. I never use real names. They are minors...

I've known Cesar for a couple years now. He's... distinctive. He stands about 6' 2" and he wears his hair in a huge Afro which adds at least another 2 inches to his height. He's not African-American, though. He's probably Latino, although I can't be sure.

It was the computer class at the continuation high school. I approached because Cesar was not on task. He had other things on his mind. He asked me if I was familiar with a local comedy club. Familiar might be overstating, but I was aware the place existed.

Cesar had gone to see a show. He thought it was hilarious that the comedian had gone after him for probably being high. He said it was ironic as he had been high.

I tried to explain this was not irony. Irony is when something is the opposite of what's expected.

I could see how the comedian had chosen Cesar to go after. He was ripe for mocking.

"What did he say about your collar?"

Cesar wears a dog collar. I once asked him why. He said he liked it. His uncle bought him a dog license for it, and so now his dog collar has a dog license on it.

Cesar: "I had my head down. He didn't see the collar."

Too bad. Perhaps if the comedian had looked a little closer, he would have also noticed Cesar's hands. All of the fingernails on one hand are filed to points, kind of like claws.

Yet, with all this, he's a very easy going guy. I don't generally have issues with him in class. He never talks back. He's never rude or disrespectful. Getting his work done, however...

Ah well. (I've wanted to write about him for a while, but he's never given me a good reason to. Finally, I have a reason to mention him.)

23 comments:

  1. Hopefully he's just going through a phase. At least he doesn't have a personality to match his looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does indeed sound distinctive. Interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes you wonder why he is putting attention on himself with the dog collar and the nails. Obviously (to me) signs that he wants people to notice him. I'm thinking what comedy club lets in under 18 kids?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might be 18 now. In fact, I'm pretty sure he is.

      Delete
  4. Why was he surprised that the comedian went at him?? It sounds like he is wanting attention. My goodness I have to wonder about his parents. But then you have to remember I am an OLD lady! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wasn't surprised. He was proud. He was bragging about it.

      Delete
    2. Oh....he should have been embarrassed!

      Delete
  5. This piece makes me giggle. Cesar sounds like a real character. I have a feeling that he was pretty proud of himself for getting noticed by the comedian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew a girl who was a punker. She would spike her hair way up and wore all sorts of earrings etc... but she was so sweet and compassionate. She had a horrible family life and the parents were very much into image and her image was not it! One never knows how the family is. He is searching for attention even if he says he is not plus wanting to be his own self. He just needs a little TLC because he probably feels he is not very bright. Poor kid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting guy. It bugs me that some people are assume the worst about those who like to add some flair to their looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He'd make an interesting character in a book...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just proves you can't judge a book entirely by the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He sounds like one quirky cookie! And as mshatch, he'd be a perfect character for a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think quirky is a requirement for that school.

      Delete
  11. He WOULD make an interesting character in a book! It's so funny how some kids conform to be non-conformists.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, the dog collar thing is just weird. I also think it's weird how many young people are high these days. I guess smoking pot is the new "smoking," since people don't seem to realize marijuana poses a lung cancer threat, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dog collar is weird. I guess that's why the uncle got the dog license. In hopes of shaming him into not wearing it. That's my guess.

      One of the reasons many of the students end up at that school is due to substance issues. It's not condoned. But telling them the dangers... They have answers for all of it. It's a battle that I've fought but don't win.

      Delete
  13. You must get lots of story ideas from your substitute days!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  14. He sounds like an interesting guy. I wonder why he acts and dresses the way he does. It's a shame about the drug use because it sounds like he'd probably do okay for himself without, he's obviously confident!

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, drug use is rampant at that school. And they don't get why that might be a bad thing.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.