Friday, September 4, 2015

A Chip Story


It was the end of a long, hot day in the special ed resource room at the continuation high school. (It was hot outside, but the air conditioning was working perfectly inside.) We had two students, one working on her math assignment while the other was working on his history assignment.

The instructional aide (IA) had chips. Doritos, to be precise. She got a big bag because the store was out of the individual sized bags, so she was sharing.

The kiddos managed to scare up a plate, and they were sharing the chips nicely. Until the girl finished her math assignment and went back to class. She grabbed the plate of chips and took them with her.

The boy jumped up and followed.

And I followed the boy to bring him back. He did not have permission to leave.

When I caught up with him, he had retrieved the plate of chips. And he scarfed them all down as quickly as he could. While I stood in front of him and watched him do it.

Then we went back into the room.

The boy wailed. The girl had eaten all the chips. The IA had to give him some more.

I, of course, told the IA exactly what the boy had done with the chips not 30 seconds prior.

I mean, seriously? He thought I wasn't going to say anything? Geez!

23 comments:

  1. Those chips must've been pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time they will have to try to find 2 plates :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing. When they found plates, they found a stack of them. There were at least 5 more in the room.

      Delete
  3. That he ran after the girl and demanded the chips boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time, the IA should not bring chips to the class unless they are in individual bags. Teens are not altruistic beings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the teen. But the reason she got the big bag was because they were all out of individual bags, and she had a long day (I believe she had her college class after she was done working for the day).

      Delete
  5. Doritos are a dangerous substance. If you eat one, you have to have them all. They take over your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with both Susan Kane and J E Oneil. Those snacks are addictive. Not Suitable for School. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are against the new nutrition regulations, so true.

      Delete
  7. Reckon next time you will need to bring the avo dip and some sour cream Liz... might as well go the whole hog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never cease to amaze me with these stories! I'm sure we were just as loony as children, but somehow it doesn't seem possible that we were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, the kiddos keep me supplied with plenty of material.

      Delete
  9. Lost in a Dorito daze, he didn't realize you were there? Nice try, kiddo... If the two were sharing in the first place, I wonder what made the girl think she could run off with the plate? I guess this is why food/snacks weren't allowed in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that I told him he had to return to class, and he held up his hand in the universal sign for "hold on a minute", he knew I was there. And did it anyway.

      And technically, food isn't allowed. But it's one of those rules that isn't as readily enforced as some others.

      Delete
  10. Doesn't sound like either of them acted too well! I sympathise though, I really can't start eating a packet of anything while I'm working or I end up eating the whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing what kids will do today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could totally see my classmates (from when I was in school) doing something similar. I think it's the age.

      Delete
  12. Food is a great motivator and a great distraction. Sometimes treats cause more problems than they're worth. Don't you think Liz!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.