Thursday, July 7, 2016

Poison Ivy Fight


Has the internet decided that it's now Flashback Fridays? I don't know anymore. I first started doing reposts on Tuesdays, but then someone started #ThrowbackThursday, so I moved my day to repost old blogs posts to Thursday. I suppose I could start doing them on Friday if that becomes the thing...

Until someone tells me differently (or I decide to jump on that bandwagon), I'll repost on Thursdays. 

Sometimes being a sub is like being a fly on the wall. The kiddos will talk of things as if I'm not even around. Then sometimes, they come up with outrageous stories that I think they would have told to their teacher. This is one of those. They swore it was a true story. This was originally posted on February 12, 2010

"We once had a poison ivy fight. It was sooooo painful afterwards."

6th period hadn't started yet. (11th grade U.S. history.) The students were finding their seats. After this utterance, I happened to look over at the TA, and he started laughing. There was no help for it. I couldn't hold the laughter in.

The TA asked the question. The boy explained:

"We were weeding. We were wearing gloves. Then somebody happened to touch someone else's neck, and his neck got all red, and then..."

The boy who had prompted this story had left the room to get some water. (The topic started when he told of an ice fight.) The TA was still laughing. And then the period started.

Sometimes... I do not understand the reasoning of 16-year-old boys. At least the TA got a kick out of it. He said that the story made his day.

27 comments:

  1. Sixteen year olds don't have many brain cells.
    Michael is doing Flashback Fridays once a month. Last Friday I think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT would be a hecka of a battle. Poison Ivy is awful, absolutely awful. Wish you had more details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a few 16-year-olds throwing poison ivy at each other. Kind of like a water balloon fight, but with poison ivy. They described it. For me, it becomes the best way to relate the conversation, and in this case I felt like more details only detracted from the ridiculousness of the situation.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Alex! Not many brain cells. Lol.

    So they have TA's in 11th grade? I don't think I ever had a TA until I was in college. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, and boys. Only boys would do something this stupid. But apparently they paid for it afterwards. (They told me of how much it hurt...)

      Some seniors and a few juniors have space in their schedules. Some teachers need the help.

      Delete
  4. Only kids could come up with this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only boys. There are probably girls would would, but hearing it from boys so does not surprise me.

      Delete
  5. I was really wondering based on the title - but yup, it's as straight up and ridiculous as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I have a hard time coming up with a title. And some days the title writes itself.

      Delete
  6. *shakes head* of course it's boys saying that lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the things the boys say... I don't remember if I wrote a post about the boys who talked about blowing up... I don't remember, I think it was a trumpet. Some of the stuff they do...

      Delete
  7. Poison Ivy fight? I thought most people was plan scared of it. We don't have it here in North Idaho.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that was the point. With water balloons you just get wet. There was more of a sting with this one.

      Delete
  8. I think I would have laughed too, but ouch with the fight!! That is one I wouldn't have wanted to be involved in!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was funny because it was in the past. Although, I might have laughed at them at the time, just because it is such a stupid thing to do.

      Delete
  9. Glad that the fight he's speaking of didn't happen in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it would have been no joking matter.

      Delete
  10. We don't have poison ivy here, but we have poison oak. And I've had the joys of that itchy, painful rash several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, they would have done the same with poison oak in that situation, I expect.

      Delete
  11. Don't talk about poison ivy or poison oak. I must have been in the thick of it back in 1987 I was in such bad shape that my body was swollen. My eye was swollen shut and I had trouble to put on my underwear. I ended up going to the hospital to get an adrenaline shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 16-year-old boys would think such a thing was a good idea...

      Delete
  12. Isn't there something ..Might be Dock leaves although I could have made that up, that grows right next to the nettles or whatever....Maybe I am dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. I was taught what the leaves look like, but so long ago that I wouldn't recognize it now. This is why I don't do outdoorsy things.

      Delete
  13. I wasn't exactly a wise sixteen-year-old girl. But this isn't something I would have tried. ~grin~ I was too busy sneaking around with my boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.